About the Theme
This year's conference theme "SHOW ME THE DATA" is intended to encompass the many aspects of teaching statistics, including but certainly not limited to:
- Helping students to recognize that data beat anecdotes and are essential for evidence-based decision-making;
- Emphasizing data visualization in statistics courses;
- Embracing ideas of data science in teaching statistics;
- Using data as educators to make informed decisions related to effective teaching and learning
Special Features of USCOTS 2017
- Plenary sessions by national leaders in Undergraduate Statistics Education on current and emerging trends in research, curriculum, pedagogy, and resources
- Hands-on breakout sessions to incorporate new ideas into your courses
- Posters & Beyond sessions exchanging your ideas on teaching and learning statistics
- Conference banquet
- Opportunities to meet other statistics teachers from a wide range of institutions and disciplines
- Pre-conference workshops to delve deeply into a specific statistics education innovation
- A fun, active atmosphere where everyone can be involved!
Posters and Beyond Proposal Information
We are now requesting proposals for 80-minute breakout sessions that relate directly to the conference theme, "Show me the Data" and focus on actively engaging participants. It is not appropriate for a breakout session to consist primarily of a presentation. We are also requesting proposals for pre-conference workshops, which can last for as little as half a day to as long as two days.
To propose a breakout session or pre-conference workshop please review the information in the "Call for Proposals" page.
Your proposal of no more than 1500 words must include:
- Title for proposed session,
- Names, e-mail addresses, and brief biographical sketches for all leaders of the session,
- Indication of whether the proposal is for a breakout session or pre-conference workshop, along with an intended duration for a pre-conference workshop,
- Description of how the session relates to the conference theme,
- Explanation of how the session will actively engage participants, and
- Discussion of how participants will be able to implement ideas presented in the session.
Proposals will be reviewed by the USCOTS Program Committee, and notifications will be made by January 15, 2017. Proposals for “poster and beyond” sessions will be solicited at a later date; those proposals will be due on February 1, 2017.
- Registration before April 1 at $200
- Standard Registration after April 1 at $230
- Some full or partial registration grants may be available to those in need. Submit requests via this grant application form.
- $30 discount for participants from CAUSE Institutional Members Institutional Members
- New this year, add the Penn Stater Breakfast Buffet to your registration for only $5.00 per person, per day!
- Allan Rossman, Chair, Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo
- Jackie Miller, University of Michigan
- Additional members announced soon!
- Kay Endriss, Winston-Salem Forsyth County Schools
- Jack Miller, Chair, University of Michigan
- Melinda Baham, Baham & Associates
- Leigh Johnson, Capital University
- Chris Malone, Winona State University
- Bethany White, University of Toronto
- Homer White, Georgetown College