About the Theme
Change can be difficult, but also exhilarating, scary, but also liberating. Previous USCOTS sessions have advocated various types of changes in teaching statistics likely to produce enhanced student learning. Conference participants often become excited about visionary ideas presented, but struggle to follow through and affect sustained changes at their home institutions. USCOTS '13 will address the goal of making change happen.
This conference is designed to model good teaching in its sessions, social activities, and hallways. As with previous USCOTS, it will consist of plenary sessions, breakout sessions, and "poster and beyond" sessions. These will address how to make change happen in four main areas: curriculum, pedagogy, resources, and educational research.
Special Features of USCOTS 2013
- Plenary sessions by national and international leaders in Undergraduate Statistics Education on current and emerging trends in research, curriculum, pedagogy, and resources
- Posters & Beyond sessions exchanging your ideas on teaching and Learning statistics
- Hands-on breakout sessions to incorporate new ideas into your courses
- Opening session featuring 5-minute previews of ideas for making change happen
- Conference banquet hosted by SAS on the nearby SAS Campus
- Opportunities to meet other statistics teachers from a wide range of institutions and disciplines
- Pre-conference workshops to delve deeply into a specific statistics education innovation
- A fun, active atmosphere where everyone can be involved!
Embassy Suites Lodging Information
- Room rate for USCOTS participants is $119 plus tax
- Free internet in all rooms
- Breakfast buffet included
- Free manager's reception each evening
- Free airport shuttle
- Free parking
- Early Bird Registration before April 1 at $175
- Standard Registration after April 1 at $235
- $35 discount for participants from CAUSE Institutional Members
Plan Your Travel
- The Mixer and opening session starts on Thursday May 16th at 6:00 p.m.
- The closing session ends on Saturday May 18th at 3:15 p.m..
- Pre-conference workshops start Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday
- Pre-conference mini-workshops run Thursday May 16th from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- Post-conference grant writing workshop ends on Sunday May 19th at noon
Allan Rossman, Chair, Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo
Kay Endriss, Career Center
Michelle Everson, University of Minnesota
Joan Garfield, University of Minnesota
Randall Groth, Salisbury University
Shonda Kuiper, Grinnell College
Larry Lesser, The University of Texas at El Paso
Kari Lock Morgan, Duke University
Jackie Miller, The Ohio State University
Dennis Pearl, The Ohio State University
Michael Posner, Villanova University
Soma Roy, Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo
Deb Rumsey, The Ohio State University
Tom Short, John Carroll University
Poster & Beyond Review Committee
Jackie Miller, Chair, The Ohio State University
Chris Malone, Winona State University
Jamis Perrett, Monsanto Company
Leigh Slauson, Capital University