- This is an experiment to see if we can put all of Chance-News (July August) on a single page to make it easier to print it out and to make a pdf version.
A Chance News item is a discription of an article in the media that uses probability or statistical concepts.
A Chance News normally consist of:
- The source
- A discussion of the article
- Discussion questions.
New Chance News items and improvements to previous items are welcome for the Chance Wiki.
A sample Chance News
Numbers are like people; torture them enough and they'll tell you anything.
Frank Duckworth, editor of the Royal Statistical Society's newsletter RSS NEWS has given us permission to include items from their Forsooth column which they extract forsooth items from media sources.
Of course we would be happy to have readers add items they feel are worthy of a forsooth!
From the February 2005 RSS news we have:
Glasgow's odds (on a white Christmas)
had come in to 8-11, while Aberdeen was at 5-6, meaning snow in both cities
is considered almost certain.
22 December 2004
From the May 2005 RSS News:
He tried his best--but in the end newborn Casey-James May missed out on a 48 million-to-one record by four minutes. His father Sean, grandfather Dered and great-grandfather Alistair were all born on the same date - March 2. But Casey-James was delivered at 12.04 am on March 3....
10 March 2005
In the US, those in the poorest households have nearly four times the risk of death of those in the richest.
Your World report
What else might be included
- Special handling requirements (how are eggs or butter stored? At what temperature should they be when cooking starts?)
- Garnishing or serving advice (add a sprig of parsley for color).
Additional facts often included in recipes
Recipe writers often add additional facts about the recipe, and, depending upon who you are, they are considered redundant or essential.
Such facts may include the history of the dish, nutritional information, dietary information, philosophical ramblings about the soul-enriching or health-benefiting properties of the dish, or what wonderful hostess in what particular town first served the dish to the author.
Nutritional information normally includes food energy, vitamin content, fat content, etc.
Where are recipes to be found
People have written recipes as recipe cards, recipe books, recipes worked into needlepoint, and computer recipe databases, among others. Take notes when making your favorite dish and share your recipe in the list of recipes or Wikibooks cookbook.
- 123cuisinez.com - Best recipes of kitchen
- CookbookWiki.com A community built Recipe Wiki. Over 20,000 recipes.
- Homebasics Recipes A Canadian source of fresh and delicious food ideas. 1000's of free recipes.
- All Recipes Over 30,000 editor-approved recipes, advanced searching abilities and rating system.
- Foodgeeks.com A recipe website with over 7,000 recipes.
- The Art of Writing Workable Recipes is a history of recipe writing, an analysis of contemporary recipe styles, and a treatise on what constitutes a well-written recipe.
- eLook Recipes Over 48,000 recipes.
- Free Recipe Archive1000's of free access Recipes
- Computerized Cooking, an analysis of recipe styles, including 14 familiar styles and some unfamiliar computer software styles. Mundie, the author, is a recipe purist who discusses what does and does not belong in a recipe.
- Veggie Life Magazine has published their guidelines for writing recipes. Almost all professional cooking publications have similar guidelines.
- AnyMeal recipe database software is a open-source Linux-software for maintaining more than 100.000 recipes.
- Visual RecipesA community of cooks who share their recipes by taking photos of each step of the cooking process.
- Food Network Recipes
- BBC Food Recipes
- Diamondback Diner - Southwestern Recipes*Recipes by Cathy specializes in healthy but delicious cooking.
- Spanish Recipes
- RealCajunRecipes.com features more than 800 recipes from Cajun Country. Photos included.
- resources/cooking offers more than 150 delicious fresh fish and seafood recipes.
- Free Recipes and Cookbooks Directory of free recipes and cookbooks
- 1,000's of Quick & Easy Recipes. The majority of the recipes have a picture.
- Binnur's Turkish Cookbook Delicious, healthy and easy-to-make Turkish recipes.