Pre-JMM Workshop: "Interactive Probability Instruction"


Presented by

Dennis Pearl, The Ohio State University; Kyle Siegrist, University of Alabama; & Ivo Dinov, University of Michigan

Tuesday, January 14th, 2014; 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm

About

This half-day workshop (website: www.distributome.org/meetings/JMM_2014) will introduce participants to novel web-based technologies for blended teaching of computational statistics and applied probability theory. Specifically, 50% of the time will be dedicated to training using the Probability Distributome ebapps (www.Distributome.org), 25% for demonstrating the classroom use of the Virtual Laboratories in Probability and Statistics (www.math.uah.edu/stat), and 25% for exploratory data analysis using the Statistics Online Computational Resource (www.SOCR.ucla.edu). Participants should bring a laptop to this workshop to take part in hands-on demonstrations illustrating data modeling, exploring of properties of probability distributions and interdistributional relationships, resampling and simulation, dynamic data plots, and model fitting. These topics and techniques are suitable for introductory and cross-listed applied probability and statistical methods courses. The workshop is designed to be accessible to those with little or no computational background, and will provide you with skills, examples, and resources that you can use in your own teaching.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014
1:30 - 4:30 pm Eastern time
Marriott Inner Harbor
Stadium Ballroom 4
110 South Eutaw Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201

Advance registration is required, and confirmation of acceptance will be sent via email.

Supported by NSF DUE # 1023115, 1022560, 1022636, & 0716055.

Ivo Dinov
Ivo Dinov

Kyle Siegrist
Kyle Siegrist

Dennis Pearl
Dennis Pearl