Teaching Statistics vs. Data Science in Grades K-12?
Wednesday, May 19, 2021, 11:00 am - 12:45 pm ET
Where do YOU stand?
* How to define statistics education and data science education in grades K-12?
Statistics or data science?
* Is statistics and data science education too ambitious a goal to pursue in grades
K-12, for both the students and teachers?
* Has K-12 statistics and data science education been successful so far? By what
* Can data sense, or data acumen, be trained well at K-12 or even younger? Are there
any unique challenges and benefits of developing data acumen in K-12?
* Small datasets or big data for teaching and practice at this level?
If you are intrigued by these questions and have an interest in how these questions might
be answered - one way of the other – then this is the event for you!
Want to get a sense of the thinking behind the practicality (or not) of various
educational approaches? Interested in hearing both sides of the story – during the same
This event is hosted by NISS and will be held in a debate type of format. The participants
will be given selected questions ahead of time so they have a chance to think about their
responses, but this is intended to be much less of a presentation and more of a give and
take between the debaters.
So – let’s have fun with this! The best way to find out what happens is to register and
National Institute of Statistical Sciences